Why You Should Always Remove Your Makeup Before Bedtime

During a an out of town trip with my younger cousins, I was surprised to see them go to bed without removing their makeup. It was a long day of beach bumming and partying so I guess they were simply too tired to go over the whole shebang of removing makeup, cleansing, toning and moisturizing their faces. Lucky for them because they're blessed with really nice skin, which they really have to take care of BTW. Not so lucky for me because I can never go to bed without cleansing my face at the very least. Not only do I feel gross going to bed without washing away the oil and dirt that accumulated the whole day, but also because my skin is sensitive and acne-prone that I would probably be counting pimples the next day. Boo.

So, being the big ate, I scolded them the next day, and like a true blue beauty geek, lectured them on the importance of removing makeup and the basic cleanse-tone-moisturize ritual. Here's why you should always, always remove your makeup before sleeping.

  • Removing makeup and cleansing your face before bedtime will freshen your skin and allow it to breathe and detoxify.
  • Our body naturally regenerates while we sleep. Our skin renews itself by shedding dead skin cells. Cleansing your face will help this natural process
  • Makeup can clog your pores if not removed properly, causing pimples, blackheads and whiteheads
  • Aside from breaking out, your skin can also get nasty infections from bacteria buildup
  • Eye mascara, when not removed properly, may cause lash breakage, or worse, eye infections
  • You don't want your makeup all over your pillow, don't you?
  • Lastly, it feels nicer and more relaxing to sleep with a fresh, clean face 


  Tips on removing your makeup and cleansing your skin:
  • Use oil based makeup removers for waterproof makeup (mascaras, eyeliners, lipstick) I personally tried L'Oreal Gentle Lip and Eye Makeup Remover, Maybelline Makeup Remover (both a combination of clear and blue liquid ), Shu Uemura Cleansing Oils and Celeteque Anti-Wrinkle Cleansing Oil. All of the above works pretty nicely, but my favorite is still Shu. :) If you're on the budget, baby oil can do the trick. 
  • It's best to wash or rinse your face with warm water after using makeup removers. It will wash away traces of oil and freshen and hydrate your skin.
  • Don't rub too hard especially on the eye area as this can cause wrinkles. Rub your face with cotton or wash cloth in gentle, circular motion. 
  • After cleansing, apply your favorite toner and moisturizer to condition your pores and lock in moisture. You can use special treatment products like anti-aging or whitening serums before moisturizing. 
  • Lastly, make sure to get at least 7-8 hours of sleep to give your skin ample time to rest and renew!



My current makeup remover is Celeteque Anti-wrinkle Ultra Hydrating Cleansing Oil. It does the job of removing stubborn makeup, but I can't afford not to wash it off with soap and water nor use it as leave on because I find this ultra rich for my already oily skin. 


  
Almost clean. After this, I proceed with washing my face with Acne Aid soap, toning with Human Heart Nature Tomato toner, applying L'Oreal Youth Code Serum or Celeteque Anti-Aging Capsules and finishing off with Human Heart Nature Sunflower Oil. Who says it's easy to be a girl?



I'd rather see all of the dirt and makeup on cotton pads than my pillow. To think I was only wearing very light makeup that day.
Make removing makeup a daily habit, okay? Better safe and clean than sorry and pimply. ;-) TGIF!

From the Nook,
Dang




Comments