What I Learned Today: #2




I really am. Beautiful handwriting have always fascinated me. Back in grade school, I'll be so obsessed with keeping my notebooks neat and uniform that I'll tear the pages and rewrite the whole thing if my handwriting looks odd than normal. You know how your penmanship differs day after day, depending on your mood? It kills me.

This morning, I visited the museum of the Basilica Del Sto. Nino in Cebu City. Aside from the magnificent collections of religious artifacts, mostly on the child Jesus, what awed me more are the century old books covered in pig or cow skin. Most of the books contained records of the collections and offerings to the church by the devotees and its disbursements. The books are big even in today's standards, I'm assuming no less than A3 size each, with rows and rows of neat, perfect and uniform cursive handwriting with the most delicate curves and elegantly long tails. They looked like computer print outs, AMAZING! Not to mention that these are financial books, not even personal diaries. I wonder how much time they spend to complete a page? Too bad picture taking is not allowed inside the museum, it would be interesting for you to see the books and share the tingling sensation while reading the handwriting. But I hope you get my drift. :) 

Now I'm inspired to keep my journals neat and rediscover my cursive writing prowess so that centuries from now, whoever sees my handwriting won't think we're a bunch of robots.


I'm talking about beautiful handwriting like such. Guess who? No less than Jose Rizal's.

From the Nook,
Dang

Comments