The Perfect Timing


It's funny how people are always in a hurry for everything. Kids can't wait to grow up, young professionals slave themselves to get a promotion ASAP, lovers jump on the next chance to get hitched. I'm no exception. If there's a value I need to practice more than anything, it's patience. When it comes to this ballgame, I'm an amateur. In basketball jargon, bangko.

When I was 16, I applied for a part-time job as a fastfood attendant. I didn't need the money, I just wanted a fastlane to the grownup world. My parents didn't sign the waiver, and you wouldn't believe the amount of tears and tantrums I threw at them all summer. Now that I look back, I'm glad they did that. Summer was a good time to meet new friends (boy crushes even, ha!), learn new things and spend more time at home. I mastered my biking stunts, bruised my knees, started my love affair with cooking and did things that I don't have the time and chance to do now that I'm already in the workforce. 

Most people I know spent a few weeks after college just to take a break after 15 years of schooling. I did the opposite. My graduation ceremonies was still a month after the official end of school so I said what the heck, I'm not wasting a minute being a bum. I logged into Jobstreet, sent my CV to a BPO company, got a call for an interview the next day and signed my first job offer later that evening. Did that work out? NO. BPO environment was not for me. Graveyard shift killed me. I was miserable. All because I was in a hurry. For what? Nothing really. 

Now that I'm in my late twenties, I still get high on impulse, but I can manage better. I now choose my battles more carefully. I buy time to go over big decisions. I finally met patience. He's like a gentle old friend, rich with life's experiences. He's mild-mannered and composed. He has no reasons to cram or panic, because he's well aware of the universe's perfect timing. And I tell you, the Big Man above is not shy to show His great mercy and glory to the believers!


Petronas Tower, Kuala Lumpur | 2010

When my dad had a massive stroke earlier this year, I prayed hard that he gets transferred to a regular room at least before my birthday. After three gruesome weeks, we got the doctor's order to move him. It was the night before I turned 29.

I then decided to pursue my plans to work abroad, and since my brother and a handful of other relatives live in Dubai, it was a natural choice. If not for Ramadan, I would have flown to Dubai last May. But Mr. Patience asked me to painfully wait again. It's impractical to go around and hunt for a job in Dubai when offices operated for only half a day for almost a month. Not to mention that average temp is 50 degrees. So when Ramadan ended in July, I gave myself two weeks to pack and say my good byes. I had a ticket for August 14. Alas. I got my job offer to expatriate to Kuala Lumpur on the eve of August 13. It's a dream job for PR practitioners like me. I had to let Dubai, and the promise of still being with family, go.

I will be 30 years old next year, and I've told myself time and again that I will move out and live on my own before I hit the big 3-0. I've been ready for so long, but I didn't have the heart to leave my mom alone until this great opportunity came. I broke the news over Chinese dinner and she gave me her full support. Now is the perfect time to live independently, alone (but not lonely I hope!) in a foreign country. It's also time to learn how to properly do the laundry.

Now, can you honestly say these are mere coincidence? I refuse to believe so. I call it God's Perfect Timing. And I'm very very excited for the rest to unfold. 

Have a blessed weekend! :)

Much Love,
Dang


Comments

  1. See you soon here in KL, babe! <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Carolific: See you my dear. I will bug you all the time! :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear what you think. Fire away!